… a Manager, a Problem-solver and a Lecturer.
Fought it, Thought it and Taught it!
Over 35 years, he has been instrumental in introducing state-of-the-art skills and techniques in diverse industries working for and with some of the best companies in the world.
For the past 15 years Dr. Thomas has run his own management consultancy specialising in the development and implementation of World Class techniques aimed at creating sustainable step changes in business performance and profitability.
Dr.Thomas is also a member of the ECS (Education and Consultancy Services) team at the Institute for Manufacturing at Cambridge University that is responsible for developing innovative services to support small and medium-sized manufacturers (SMM) in Wales and the West Midlands.
In doing this work for ECS, Dr.Thomas operates in the role of Industrial Fellow of the University of Cambridge.
Dr.Thomas also lectures in Operations Management, Communication skills and General Management at Swansea University and Organic Chemistry for the Biosciences Foundation course.
Previous roles and accountabilities held include…..
- Extensive Plant management experience, in both small and large companies in a number of industries.
- Many of these companies were suppliers to the Automotive industry, servicing the demanding criteria set by companies like Ford, Nissan and Toyota.
- One plant for which he was responsible achieved the Toyota Supplier of the Year Award.
- Headed a Technical solutions group for major US multi-national 3M, introducing state-of-the art innovative products into the UK market.
- Over 15 years experience as a part-time Lecturer on Masters courses in Manufacturing management for the Open University (much of it as a consultant author of Technology Implementation, Project Management and Manufacturing-based courses).
- Responsibility for Manufacturing strategy development for a diverse multi-national group of companies in the Packaging industry.
- Developing Leadership Training programmes for a number of multi-national companies in a wide range of industries. This included developing customized graduate development programmes in manufacturing management for several companies.
- Establishment of a new green-field manufacturing facility in the Medical supplies industry, which he ran for 2 years. This facility was considered to be one of the most advanced facilities of its kind in the world.
|Academic|| Ph.D in Synthetic Organic Chemistry
Honours degree in Chemistry
|Professional||F.R.S.C., C.Chem., A.I.B.A.|
Client quotes :
From: Mr. John McManus Senior Consultant at Efeso Consulting
|“I have known John Thomas for over 20 years and have worked with him as a colleague and also as a customer. John has a comprehensive knowledge of the tools and techniques of a variety of Continuous Improvement methodologies and is comfortable working with people throughout an organisation from boardroom to shop floor.
John’s ability to translate the sometimes opaque academic speak used in some of these methodologies into common sense, practical actions which can make a huge difference to performance have helped him to build up an impressive track record with his customers, many of whom have worked with him over a long period of time.
In addition to being able to make a real impact, John’s affable personality helps him to fit in quickly into the teams he works with.
I would have no hesitation in recommending John to help a business to move forward to a brighter and more successful future.”
From: Mr. Mike Grimwood, Managing Director of Peters Food Service.
|“John designed and ran several training workshops for Peter’s Food Services over recent years. His ability to lift the mundane to the humorous ensures that principles stick in the minds of all levels. We have used him on multiple occasions and would do again in the future.”|