Current and Completed Projects
- Dr. J.R.Thomas Associates are co-ordinating a 5S and Value-stream mapping project for Smurfit Kappa at their Mold, North Wales, Corrugated packaging plant.
- Dr. J. R.Thomas Associates undertook a Value-stream mapping project for Tȳ Mawr Lime of Brecon, during which significant cost-reduction opportunities were identified.
- Dr. J. R.Thomas Associates co-ordinated a 5S project for Chivas Bros. of Dunbarton – a leading player in the Scotch Whisky Industry.
- Dr. John R. Thomas ran a workshop on Value-Stream Mapping for the Engineering faculty at University of Wales Trinity St. Davids.
- Dr. J. R.Thomas Associates delivered Time Management courses for key leaders at market-leading Cruise specialists Cruise Nation Ltd.
- Dr. J. R.Thomas Associates led a Lean programme for leading chimney manufacturers Brickfab at their facility in Pontypool.
- Throughout 2018-2020 Dr. John R. Thomas Associates undertook regular business diagnostic studies on behalf of Enterprise Professional Services Ltd.
- In 2017/2019 Dr. J. R.Thomas Associates led a 5S programme for Roberts of Port Dinorwic who develop and produce quality, award-winning prepared dishes at their facility on the banks of the Menai Strait in North Wales.
Client quote …
Mr. Martin Topps, HR Manager, Roberts of Port Dinorwic.
We were introduced to 5S methodology by Dr John Thomas of Dr. John R, Thomas Associates consultancy. The project is in its early stages and is now starting to gather momentum. The results are evident and are having a positive impact across the factory.
We are regularly audited by our customers and we hope that as well as improving safety and efficiency, we hope that we have a positive impact on our customers.
- Dr. John R. Thomas Associates designed and led an extensive Lean manufacturing improvement project for the UK’s leading packaging manufacturer D.S.Smith Packaging at 24 locations throughout the UK. These projects make extensive use of World Class manufacturing techniques such as Workplace Organisation (Including co-ordinating an extensive 5S programme throughout the company), Quick Changeovers (S.M.E.D.) , Total Productive Maintenance and Value-Stream mapping.
Client quote …
Mr. Graham Coles, Plant Manager, D.S. Smith Kettering.
“ Dr John’s programmes are a very easily accepted Paradigm within an engaged workforce, his concept can be tailored to bring out the best in individuals and teams, John always uses techniques to suit his audience”
- A Lean programme run for leading instrument manufacturers British Rototherm and Caerbont Automotive under the auspices of the Engineering Employers Federation (EEF) has delivered significant gains in Productivity and Quality.
Client quote ..
Mr. Mike Grimwood, Managing Director, Peters Food Services.
“Firstly and most importantly I should like to thank you (belatedly) for the second project management segment. Without exaggerating I am already convinced that it has been the single most beneficial series of training workshops I have seen in my years in business. The guys have caught the concept and have been practicing application from day 1.. interestingly in Food Service where additional sales contracts requiring additional routes has been a key agenda item; or ranging is being reviewed we’re off to a flying start.
So again many thanks. Mike.”
- Dr. John R. Thomas Associates co-ordinated a strategy development programme for electronics manufacturer DBK Technitherm.
- Total Productive Maintenance and Quick changeover programme run for Texturing Technologies Ltd. at the Tata Steel Site at Margam.
- In response to major changes to the market requirements that the company have experienced, Dr. John R. Thomas Associates ran a major 5S/SMED Changeover time reduction programme for the UK’s leading plastic container manufacturers RPC : This has resulted in a significant capacity increases, service level improvements and profit generation to the client due to the considerable time and cost savings generated by the project.
- Lean programme run for high quality printers and bookbinders Cambrian printers.
- Lean manufacturing improvement programme run for Optical lens specialist manufacturers Lenstec Optical in Caerphilly.
- Lean manufacturing improvement programme run for Altron Communications Equipment Ltd.
- Co-ordinated 2 Lean projects in the supply chain of the Scotch Whisky Industry.
- A Process analysis project to develop better control systems for the key process variables of the Jaffa cake manufacturing line at Burtons foods has resulted in significant quality and performance improvements through use of techniques such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (F.M.E.A.) and POKA YOKE (Fool-proofing).
- Other Lean projects completed for Safety Letterbox, Excel Engineering, Carlisle Brake products, Labelgraphics, De La Rue and Northern Automotive Systems
Dr John R. Thomas is a member of a team that is responsible for developing innovative services to support manufacturing businesses on behalf of the Institute for Manufacturing at Cambridge University. He specialises in advising small and medium-sized manufacturers...
Dr. John R. Thomas Associates undertook a major systems analysis and improvement project for the Welsh Joint Education Committee's examination paper production and logistics system. Yn dilyn prosiectau llwyddiannus yn y gorffenol, gofynwyd i Dr. John R. Thomas...
Posted on January 15, 2017 by Dr J Thomas Yn dilyn cyfres o gyrsiau llwyddiannus i sefydliadau megis Bwrdd Yr iaith Gymraeg, S4C a Menter a Busnes mae gan Dr. John R. Thomas Associates bortffolio o gyrsiau trwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg, gan gynnwys : Ceir modiwlau sy’n...
Following the launch of the successful 'Train the Trainer' programmes launched in 2006, several organisations have contracted Dr. John R. Thomas Associates to run trainer development programmes during 2007 to 2011. (Details of this programme are outlined in the...
An exciting and timely new course is scheduled to be launched : LEAN APPROACHES FOR LEAN TIMES : ENSURING THE PUBLIC SECTOR DELIVERS VALUE FOR MONEY SUMMARY OF COURSE CONTENTS. Day 1 : Leadership skills for Lean Times ! In this session we get current and...
Current Management development programmes : 1. A six month management development programme was run in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014 across 3 sites for Abbey Board : the U.K.’s largest sheetfeeder. This initiative involved training and mentoring a team of people...
Dr John R. Thomas Associates undertook a major Lean Manufacturing Project for a leading Insulation panel manufacturer in Nijmegen in the Netherlands . This programme focused on maximising throughput and minimising waste from the process. This has now been extended to...
An exciting and timely new course is scheduled to be launched in conjunction with Training Services Wales in the 2nd half of 2012 : LEAN APPROACHES FOR LEAN TIMES : ENSURING THE PUBLIC SECTOR DELIVERS VALUE FOR MONEY SUMMARY OF COURSE CONTENTS. Day 1 : Leadership...
bjective of the Lean Leader initiative. We have constructed a programme that combines... Developing a range of hard skills based on key Lean Manufacturing methodologies that the Leaders would need in their roles, withâ€¦. Developing the soft skills of Leadership that...