- In April 2022 we were commissioned to run a workshop on Improving Productivity in small businesses (click for details) at Aberinnovation in Aberystwyth.This session was specifically targeted at small companies in the food producing, agritech and allied sectors.
- In March-May 2022 we were engaged by a company in the building products industry to develop reconfigured processes for their main product lines. This project identified significant improvement opportunities based on new technologies.
- In March 2022 we ran a workshop on Innovation management for a group of companies in the Blaenau Gwent area. This was run under the auspices of the Vista programme co-ordinated by the University of South Wales.
- In February 2022 under the Vista programme we ran a series of workshops on Improving Efficiency for Small Busineses.
- In summer/autumn 2021 we co-ordinated a project developing a pilot plant for a medical plastic waste recycling company. This project involved extensive deployment of F.M.E.A. techniques.
Before the pandemic struck…
- We co-ordinated a 5S workplace organisation programme and a Value-stream mapping project for Smurfit Kappa at their Mold, North Wales, Corrugated packaging plant.
- Undertook a Value-stream mapping project for traditional building products company Ty Mawr Lime of Brecon, during which significant cost-reduction opportunities were identified.
- Co-ordinated a 5S project for Chivas Bros. of Dunbarton Scotland – a leading player in the Scotch Whisky Industry.
- We developed and delivered a course on Value-Stream Mapping for the Engineering faculty at University of Wales Trinity St. David.
- We delivered Time Management courses for key team leaders at market-leading Cruise specialists Cruise Nation Ltd.
- Led a Lean programme for leading chimney manufacturers Brickfab at their facility in Pontypool.
- Throughout 2018 to 2020 we undertook regular business diagnostic studies and developed improvement programmes for a myriad of SMEs on behalf of Enterprise Professional Services Ltd. as part of the Welsh Government Innovation support scheme.
- Led a 5S workplace organisation programme for Roberts of Port Dinorwic who develop and produce quality, award-winning prepared dishes at their facility on the banks of the Menai Strait in North Wales.
Client quote …
Mr. Martin Topps, HR Manager, Roberts of Port Dinorwic.
We were introduced to 5S methodolog by Dr John Thomas of Dr. John R, Thomas Associates consultancy. The project is in its early stages and is now starting to gather momentum. The results are evident and are having a positive impact across the factory.
We are regularly audited by our customers and we hope that as well as improving safety and efficiency, we hope that we have a positive impact on our customers.
- Dr. John R. Thomas Associates have designed and led an extensive Lean manufacturing improvement project for the UK’s leading packaging manufacturer D.S.Smith Packaging at 24 locations throughout the UK. These projects make extensive use of World Class manufacturing techniques such as Workplace Organisation (Including co-ordinating an extensive 5S programme throughout the company), Quick Changeovers (S.M.E.D.) , Total Productive Maintenance and Value-Stream mapping.
Client quotes …
From: Mr. Brian Wark, HR Director DS Smith Packaging
Dr. John Thomas has worked for DS Smith for over 20 years initially as an employee and latterly as a consultant, supplying operational improvement services such as Lean, 5S, Manufacturing Audits and various other training and consultancy services.
During his time with DS Smith, John transformed many of our sites into beacons of excellence, working with local managers and crews, building engagement and commitment so that the improvements have been sustained.
I would have no hesitation in recommending John for any business/operational transformation projects where engagement and pragmatic solutions are key.
From : Mr. Richard Caunt U.K. Technical Director D.S. Smith
“I have known John for nearly 20 years and have always found him to be a highly professional specialist in manufacturing techniques. John doesn’t just tell you how – he has delivered hands-on training and support to develop our teams across the whole of the UK business.
This has not only taught our employees to use tried and trusted methods, it has also helped with developing the culture where everyone wants to find better ways of doing things.
John has recently been training in over 24 of our key sites in the UK delivering 5S, SMED and other lean manufacturing techniques. Much success has been achieved with a standard and consistent approach being used in all plants.
John is well respected by people at all levels in the business and his friendly but at the same time tenacious approach delivers results.”
From : Mr. Graham Coles, Plant Manager, D.S. Smith Kettering.
Dr John’s programmes are a very easily accepted Paradigm within an engaged workforce, his concept can be tailored to bring out the best in individuals and teams, John always uses techniques to suit his audienceâ€
From: Mr. Peter White, M.D. Ralegh Integrated Solutions.
” Over the years Dr John Thomas has helped us at Ralegh Integrated Solutions to achieve a very high level of Work place organisation through encouraging us to look at what we do, ask if we need to do it and if it could be done better? John has the distinct knack of getting people engaged at any level within the organisation through his obvious knowledge and determined personality”.
- A extensive programme of Project management courses run for novelty packaging company Bonbon Buddies and for International frozen foods company Birds Eye.
- The Birds Eye courses involved training a wide range of Project managers from across their European operations.
Client quote ..
Maria Sparrow, HR Manager, Bon Bon Buddies
Bon Bon Buddies was founded in 1993 and is today recognised as Europs leading provider of character confectionery to over forty countries worldwide. The company has developed its own brand confectionery and also boasts an exciting portfolio of licenses including Disney,Â Spiderman , Barbie and One Direction to name but a few.
During late 2014 and early 2015 Bon Bon Buddies sought training that would help up-skill their workforce, reinforce previous training, promote career development and ultimately gain competitive advantage.
Dr John R. Thomas delivered a Project Management and FMEA course to almost half of our UK based employees. Prior to John delivering this training he took the time to understand BBB’s business strategy and more importantly our desired outcome. John’s wealth of knowledge and experience was reflected in the exemplary feedback received from all employees who attended these courses.
The impact of the training John facilitated resulted not only in an improvement of project management techniques of those who underwent the courses, but can be seen across the business as a whole.
- A Lean programme run for leading window and door manufacturers Euramax at their facility in Barnsley.
Client quote ..
Mr. Ken Wilson Managing Director Euramax Solutions Limited
As I have moved from business to business I have always used John to introduce 5S and other World Class Manufacturing techniques. John has the ability to explain the concepts in an easy to understand manner, usually aided with photos and real life examples. John’s approach is very practical and I have always seen immediate results. On repeat visits John has always kept himself updated and it’s a real advantage having John’s experience to learn from. My operations managers usually can’t wait for the next tips and ideas. For anyone at any level looking for the next efficiency improvement, I would have no hesitation to recommend John.
- Following an extensive Lean Leadership and Project Management programme run for Peter’s Foods in Caerphilly ; Dr John R. Thomas Associates were asked to help co-ordinate a major project whereby Peter’s have now become the primary source of supply of own brand savoury products for J Sainsbury Plc.
Client quote ..
Mr. Mike Grimwood, Managing Director, Peters Food Services.
“Firstly and most importantly I should like to thank you (belatedly) for the second project management segment. Without exaggerating I am already convinced that it has been the single most beneficial series of training workshops I have seen in my years in business. The guys have caught the concept and have been practicing application from day 1.
Interestingly in Food Service where additional sales contracts requiring additional routes has been a key agenda item; or ranging is being reviewed we’re off to a flying start.
So again many thanks. Mike.”
- Dr. John R. Thomas Associates co-ordinated a strategy development programme for electronics manufacturer DBK Technitherm.
- Total Productive Maintenance and Quick changeover programme run for Texturing Technologies Ltd. at the Tata Steel Site at Margam.
- In response to major changes to the market requirements that the company have experienced, Dr. John R. Thomas Associates ran a major 5S/SMED Changeover time reduction programme for the UK’s leading plastic container manufacturers RPC : This has resulted in a significant capacity increases, service level improvements and profit generation to the client due to the considerable time and cost savings generated by the project.
- Lean programme run for high quality printers and bookbinders Cambrian printers.
- Lean manufacturing improvement programme run for Optical lens specialist manufacturers Lenstec Optical in Caerphilly.
- Lean manufacturing improvement programme run for Altron Communications Equipment Ltd.
- Co-ordinated 2 Lean projects in the supply chain of the Scotch Whisky Industry.
- A Process analysis project to develop better control systems for the key process variables of the Jaffa cake manufacturing line at Burtons foods has resulted in significant quality and performance improvements through use of techniques such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (F.M.E.A.) and POKA YOKE (Fool-proofing).
- Other Lean projects completed for Safety Letterbox, Excel Engineering, Carlisle Brake products, Labelgraphics, De La Rue and Northern Automotive Systems